False Positive detection when phone moved

Errors reported by the users and admins
SL1nce

False Positive detection when phone moved

Post by SL1nce » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:46 pm

I've been using the App for a while now, and I have noticed a significant number of false positives which seem to occur when I am picking up or placing down my phone, and connecting / disconnecting from the charging cable. Sometimes it will take an image when I bump it too.

I noticed that On most of the false positives, the gravity sensor indicates the phone is not flat on the table, or is in motion. Also, they images are captured in rapid succession.

I thought of 2 fixes to this problem:

create a gravity sensor threshold to ensure detections are not made when phone is in motion, or not flat.

allow users to flag false positives when reviewing "my detections" in the app.

I appreciate the work you folks are trying to do, which is why I chose to participate. I heard about the project and app on BBC Radio's Inside Science programme.

I will post screen shots of real and false detections when I have some time later.

slawekstu
Site Admin

Re: False Positive detection when phone moved

Post by slawekstu » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:49 pm

Thank you for sharing this information.
To avoid the occurrence of too many counterfeits, we must cover the camera.

So far, the most effective way to cover the camera is to use a fridge magnet, you can also use black insulation tape or aluminum foil applied on a piece of paper or other, completely opaque for visible light thin material inserted between the camera and silicone (or other) smartphone protector.

If you do not have any of the above things, you can try to cover the phone, for example, in a box or in a drawer.

At the moment (cover the camera) this is one of the best ways to reduce false detection.
Suggestions for improving the application are really good, for which we thank you very much.

slawekstu
Site Admin

Re: False Positive detection when phone moved

Post by slawekstu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

I Try to use your suggestions in the prototype of an additional filter. (I would like to make a filter based on the information data offered by the data packages from the application.)

Just I wonder how to use the position of the gravity sensor in it?

You wrote
the gravity sensor indicates the phone is not on the table, or is in motion.
create a gravity sensor threshold to ensure detections are not made when phone is in motion, or not flat.
Only how to check for many images?
We should take into account that someone will move from one part of the room (eg a desk) to another place, for example: a wardrobe

But how I can you check that it is at an angle (not flat)?

If X or Y have a minus sign, does it mean that it is at an angle?